Jun 3, 2009

Fly down to Fukuoka for overnight visit


There used to be 2 major seminaries for diocesan priest formation in Japan, one in Tokyo and one in Fukuoka. Tokyo seminary used to be run by Jesuit and later handed over to the bishops. Fukuoka one has been run by Sulpicians from Canada. Not because of decline of vocation, but rather dependence on same professors for same subjects in two seminaries were creating difficulties since Tokyo and Fukuoka is quite far apart, bishops decided to amalgamate 2 seminaries and make one major seminary for diocesan priest formation in Japan from this year with approval from Holy See. Also this was meant to overcome a kind of feeling of separation between graduates of these 2 seminaries.


So from 1st April this year, our major seminary is one seminary with 2 campuses. Tokyo campus is for philosophy and the course for deacons. Fukuoka campus is for Theology. Overall administration was entrusted to Sulpicians while several diocesan priests are working as formators with them. The Rector is Fr.Makiyama, who is a Sulpician residing in Fukuoka and the Vice rector is Fr.Matsuura from Osaka diocese who is residing in Tokyo.


I just made a overnight visit to Fukuoka yesterday and today to give 2 lectures as a part of Missiology course. This is my third time to teach in the seminary. Every other year, several bishops and lay experts take part in this Missiology course for Theology students. I have been talking about Church's development aid (introduction to development studies) and about religious life. I have been give 90 minutes for each topics.


So I prepared power point presentation in order not to bore seminarians. Probably I provided better environment for them to take rest since the classroom had to be made a bit dark. 19 seminarians were in my class today.


Some of the seminarians have been in Fukuoka more than 2 years and others have spent the same time in Tokyo already before the seminaries were amalgamated. It is natural for them to find difficulty to live as one community at this moment since their back ground of seminary lives are quite different. Well, they may overcome these differences in no time.


2 comments:

  1. Otsukaresama deshita. The seminarians were so blessed to have you as one of their lecturers on that day. I know it's not easy to be in that vocation, but I firmly believe that with God's grace and our prayers, they will succeed. I just remember during my college days, I stopped by for one day at a certain monastery in our place,a 30 min-walk from our house. I joined the aspirants in their daily schedules. I really learned a lot of things from that experience. That time, I just wished of becoming a nun! But that wish doesn't came to reality instead I became a wife and mother to 4. This is my holy vocation and I'm trying my best everyday to fullfill my duty and responsibility as a woman, a wife and a mother.

    May God bless us all in our vocations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. You are living out your vocation given by God as a wife and mother. God bless you! Kindly pray for vocation for priesthood, especially for our diocese.

    ReplyDelete